Black Culture and Heritage Series
Planned to Celebrate Grand Re-Opening of Ralph Ellison Library
The Metropolitan Library System is celebrating the Grand Re-Opening of the Ralph Ellison Library, 2000 NE 23rd, after extensive renovations.
“The City of Oklahoma City recognized our re-opening on December 19,” said Ralph Ellison Manager Michael Eric Owens, “but we’re so proud of what we’ve achieved here we decided to have a celebration of our own all through the month of February, which is Black History Month.”
The library has scheduled over a dozen events stretching from February 2 through February 25. The programs include ones on genealogy and music, as well as several live performance presentations.
“The Ralph Ellison Library has always been the heart of our community,” Owens added, “so we invite everyone in the entire community to find one or more Grand Re-Opening events that raise their curiosity and come take a look at their beautiful new library.”
Ralph Ellison Grand Re-Opening Events include:
- Tuesday, February 2, 6pm: Al Bostick Black Voices
- Wednesday, February 3, 5:30pm: Black History Music Series
- Wednesday, February 3, 6pm: Black History Lecture Series
- Saturday, February 6, 1pm: Ralph Ellison Library Friends Meet and Greet
- Saturday, February 6, 3pm: Morris McCorvey One-Man Play
- Wednesday, February 10, 5:30pm: Black History Music Series
- Wednesday, February 10, 6pm: Black History Lecture Series
- Thursday, February 11, 6pm: Finding Your Black Roots: Genealogy Workshop
- Monday, February 15, 6pm: Rhythmically Speaking Play
- Wednesday, February, 17, 5:30pm: Black History Music Series
- Thursday, February 18, 6pm: Finding Your Black Roots: Genealogy Workshop
- Monday, February 22, 6pm: Family Night (stories, games, food, face painting)
- Wednesday, February 24, 5:30pm: Black History Music Series
- Wednesday, February 24, 6pm: Black History Lecture Series
- Thursday, February 25, 6pm: Finding Your Black Roots: Genealogy Workshop
All events are free and open to the public. For more information about these and other Metropolitan Library System events, visit the MLS website, www.metrolibrary.org.
The Metropolitan Library System of Oklahoma County includes 12 libraries and five extension libraries. Libraries include Belle Isle, Capitol Hill, Ralph Ellison, Ronald J. Norick Downtown Library and Southern Oaks in Oklahoma City, as well as Bethany, Choctaw, Del City, Edmond, Midwest City, Village and Warr Acres. Extensions are located in the communities of Harrah, Jones, Luther and Nicoma Park and include Wright Library in Oklahoma City. You can also reach us at www.metrolibrary.org.